Relative Guilt Through a Burkean Perspective
Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/01/police-shoot-dog_n_3530990.html First, might I recommend that you NOT watch the video--it is quite disturbing. My knee-jerk reaction was to assign blame to the officer who fired the shots; however, as I gave more thought to the situation, I realized that I was too caught up by the emotional argument forwarded by the video. A Burkean analysis of the situation provides a more nuanced view with respect to assigning blame. For the uninitiated, Kenneth Burke, one of the most influential rhetoricians of the 20th century, spoke of using his pentad as way to determine the origin of motivation. The pentad, as the name suggests, consists of five parts: act, agent, scene, agency, and purpose. These five parts roughly correspond to the the journalistic questions of who, what, where, when, why, and how. Unlike the journalistic questions, Burke's pentad is not meant to simply identify; rather, Burke's pentad is used in terms of...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteKatherine Kim: https://katherinekimm.wordpress.com/
ReplyDeleteAlexis Chyun: https://alexischyun.wordpress.com/
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMilly Chi: millychiblog.wordpress.com
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteCaroline Sue: carolinesue.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteLamisa Hossain: https://www.blogger.com/lamisahossain
ReplyDeleteJoanne Jo:https://www.blogger.com/home-new.g
ReplyDeleteJustin Park: jpark3.livejournal.com
ReplyDeletehttp://joannyoo.wordpress.com/
ReplyDeletehttps://edwardpyun.wordpress.com/
ReplyDeletehttp://joonjunsblog.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeletetest
ReplyDelete- Aman
joannejo2.blogspot.com
ReplyDeletePosting my blog Url again because I realized it wasn't posted
joannejo2.blogspot.com
ReplyDeletePosting my blog Url again because I realized it wasn't posted